Former European Director of
Marketing for Tesla
Ep. 15, Part 2
What fascinates Craig Davis
“You’d have to be a psychopath to leave BMW and go work for a guy who’s broke and crashed all his rockets!” And yet that’s exactly what Craig Davis did when he went to work for Elon Musk as Tesla’s first European sales rep in 2008. In Part 2 of our final episode of 2022, Craig goes deep into his time at Tesla, including the time he raced a Porsche 911 in his Roadster through the streets of Munich, compares “Elon Version 1” with the Musk we know today (“If anyone thinks they have feedback for him, they’re kidding themselves.”) and contrasts Musk with Pat Brown, founder of Impossible Foods, where he later worked.
- 2:10 - Early Tesla was not an easy sell
- 5:40 - Attracting “postmodern trendsetters”
- 7:50 - That time a Porsche chased Craig to the Munich Tesla store
- 11:45 - Elon Musk V1, aka he was very different then
- 16:50 - True colors: Now EVERYONE has to deal with Elon!
- 18:30 - Pat Brown vs Elon Musk: Balancing empathy and technology, conversation and disruption